Thursday, December 4, 2008

4 Dec 08 - Branded bags..

Saw an email from a good friend this morning.. A prayer request for his wife who is obviously obsessed with some branded bags, and they are limited edition! That brings me back to one of my shopping trips.. These friends of mine went in and out of those classy boutiques like those rich 'Tai-Tai', and they compared which brand is more 'worthy' etc.. (If anyone dares to call me 'high-maintainence' or 'Tai-Tai' again, I'll introduce him to these friends!!)

Personally, though the bag is stylish, functional and even with super real high quality material, but so what? I understand the 'investment' value of a branded bag.. But what is 'branded'? Is it not because of its sucessful historical market positioning? Even if it's of a super duper real good material, how often do you carry? And if you do, why burden yourself by worrying 'what if someone scratches/dirties it' or 'what if it's out of shape'? You want to go out to have fun, not to worry about your branded bag! And to be real crude - if you cant afford any scratches on your branded bag, then you do not have the correct mindset, attitude or even capital to own it.

I'm not saying they cant buy branded stuff, but if the percieved material value is more than your personal wellbeing, it's more like the branded stuff OWNING YOU, rather than your owning it. I do have 2 bags which cost hundreds.. they all experience wear-and-tear and depreciation! I do take care of the leather, but I make double sure I take care of myself more than I care for the bags. Afterall, I do not have any 'professional maid' to take care of those bags! We are living in SINGAPORE - high humidity climate! No matter how real or good is the material, nothing can escape the REAL FACTOR - Weather climate!

Then, with the thousands of money spent on one 'investment worthy' bag, you can actually feed so many more kids in the rural countries! People look at those pictures of starving kids, they will say 'so poor thing, wish I can do something for them' yet after flipping the page over, the good samaritian thought is shelved away with an assumption 'there are Red-Cross and others doing it'. And when they see advert on those branded bags (esp those limited edition), the thought of owning such bag will linger and motivate them to buy at all cost.

How is it possible that a non-living thing is worth more than a living person? I just don't understand..

No comments: